Rough Puff Chicken and Mushroom Pie.

Monday, 14 January 2013


Two things.
1. It snowed today, so even if everyone is on a January diet, it is acceptable if not compulsory to eat pie.
2. I burnt my pie a little bit. As you can see.
This is why I've called this post 'Rough' pie. It's a throw together dish that may or may not come out burnt, c'mon we're busy people. My advice for the future is not to listen to puff pastry packets and check on your pie ten minutes before it's supposed to be done. Yadda, yadda - rant over.
Back to my first point. The snowing.
At first it was all 'oh how lovely, I'll wrap up warm and post a picture on Instagram'.
Yep, check, done.


Reality: snow melted and froze on my coat and hood and I had to shake off like a dog. Everything became wet and grumpy and the snow could bugger off any time its ready.
I've remedied this mood with an afternoon in the kitchen. One of the products being my rough little pie. It is a wonderful winter warmer and an instant mood lift. Also, it is very easy. Besides the pastry catching, but that's all academic...

For my Rough Puff Chicken and Mushroom Pie you will need:

1 onion
12 button mushrooms
2 chicken breast fillets
300ml chicken stock
100ml milk
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp plain flour
250g puff pastry
1 egg
Cracked black pepper

Begin by putting your chicken fillets in a pan of boiling water and poaching them for 20 minutes. Once drained, slice in half and check they are cooked through. Then put to one side.
Then pour a glug of olive oil in a deep pan and finely chop your onions. When the oil is hot, throw them in, stirring until brown.


Whilst the onion is browning, chop your mushrooms. Throw them into the pan too. Add the teaspoon of dried thyme and stir through.


Your chicken should've cooled a little by now. Chop into chunks. If you have left over chicken from a roast, this can be substituted in. Put your chicken in the pan with the onion and mushrooms.


Add in both tablespoons of flour and mix until a paste forms.


Take the pan off the heat and stir in the chicken stock.


Then the milk. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 30 minutes. Season to taste. I don't think this filling needs salt but I did crack in some black pepper.


Once the filling has simmered for 30 minutes, transfer to a pie dish. This can be rectangular, circular, whatever you have in the cupboard.


Now roll out your puff pastry. I've used shop bought pastry as I haven't yet mastered my own puff. If you want to make your own, by all means do, I take my hat off to you.


Decorate in your desired way and brush with an egg.
This pie should go in an oven preheated to 200c for 20-25 minutes. You're only crisping the pastry lid, everything else is cooked.


As you can see, mine caught a little. But I'm going to put this down to pie-making growing pains and call the thing rustic. There is no shame in a little dark pastry, especially when the pie filling tastes so delicious.


Tactical side shot... What burnt pastry?
I served mine with a little mashed celeriac and buttered carrots. Winter blues: banished!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...