Spicy Bean Burgers

Thursday, 17 January 2013


Vegetarian food is seriously underrated.
I love a big hunk of beef nestled beneath bacon, cheese and a good helping of ketchup. But. Heart attack food, right? In moderation this is all fun and games but if I'm not careful I'll be rolling my way to my next meal. Not ideal.
So I wanted to find an alternative. Not a beef burger understudy, but more of a different show altogether.
Enter these punchy little Spicy Bean Burgers with coriander and lime dressing, tomato salsa and a big handful of spinach. Hunger satisfaction + flavour galore + health kicking.
And don't be fooled, this isn't a meat substitute. I'm not using beans because I have to, or even because my arteries say I should. I'm using them because they are damn tasty. I don't know how I have managed to miss this for so long...
This little fireballs are layer upon layer of flavour packed with a seriously tasty kick and a nutritious punch or two.
I like to think of this recipe as the bridge between the carnivorous and the herbivore. In other words, it has the ability to coax any picky meat eater into consuming a vegetarian burger by choice. I thought it was impossible, but here we are.
Also, these are a great mid-january meal when your resolutions aren't feeling so strong and climbing back onto the health band-wagon seems like nothing but effort.

For Spicy Bean Burgers you will need (makes 4):

400g kidney beans
50g bread crumbs
Handful of coriander
1 egg
1tsp chilli powder
1/2 jar tomato salsa
4 handfuls of spinach
4 wholemeal burger buns
4 tablespoons natural yoghurt
1/2 lime

To begin, drain and rinse the kidney beans.


Pour into a large bowl and mash roughly with a fork.


Separate the coriander leaves from the stalks and chop both finely.


Beat your egg and add to the kidney beans. Add 1/2 the chopped leaves and all of the stalks. Also spoon in 2 tablespoons of tomato salsa


Add chilli powder and bread crumbs. Mash together well with a fork.


Shape into four separate patties and grill for 5-7 minutes on each side.


Whilst the patties are grilling, make your dressing. Combine the yoghurt, juice of 1/2 a lime and the rest of the chopped coriander leaves. Stir, taste and season with pepper to your liking.


Spread an even layer of this dressing on the bottom of each bun. Make sure there is enough leftover for more on top.


Heap a handful of spinach onto each.


Once your patties are grilled on both sides and are starting to become crisp, place one in each burger.


Top with more lime and coriander dressing and a good dollop of salsa.


Serve to watering mouths and enjoy your not-so-naughty burger treat!


Vive la vegetarian!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...